After months of planning and preparations I officially launched my own Twitch cooking channel in November, 2018. I am now a Twitch affiliate, meaning that I now have the ability to monetize my stream. As cool as that is, not many people understand what any of that means so I want to start with the basics.
First of all, what the heck is Twitch?
Twitch is a popular online service for watching and streaming digital video broadcasts. When it was founded in 2011, Twitch originally focused almost entirely on video games but has since expanded to include streams dedicated to artwork creation, music, talk shows, and most importantly COOKING! As of December 2018, 2.2 million people broadcast on Twitch per month to more than 15 million viewers. Those numbers are crazy, and I knew I had to get in on the action.
So, what do I do on Twitch?
What I do on Twitch isn’t very different from what I do in my everyday life. I cook delicious meals and hang out with my friends, except on a larger scale. I now live stream my meal prep, cooking, and plating, and invite my audience to chat with me during the entire process. Viewers can ask me questions about my food or just chat with me about life in general. Twitch gives me a platform to not only share my passion for food with others, but also to interact with them in a way that was never achievable before.
How can you participate?
You can join in on the fun by creating a Twitch account and following my channel.
How to Follow:
- Navigate to the Twitch website.
- On the homepage, click the Log In or Sign Up button in the upper-right corner of the browser window.
- Once you’ve signed in, visit my channel page by searching for @bfurb or visiting www.twitch.tv/bfurb
- Click the Follow button that’s near the upper-right corner of the screen.
- If you’ve followed correctly, a green heart will replace the Follow button.
Tip: If you click the down arrow next to the green heart, you can toggle notifications for a particular stream. Be sure to turn notifications on to ensure that you never miss a stream!
How can you support the cause for FREE?
If you have an Amazon Prime account and want to support my Twitch channel FOR FREE you’re in luck! Amazon Prime account holders can now subscribe to one Twitch channel per month for free instead of the usual price of $4.99 and all of you have to do is link your two accounts. Twitch is owned by Amazon so you will be able to safety and easily link your two accounts. It wont cost you a dime, but it will help support my stream AND my dreams, what more could you ask for?!
How to Connect Your Twitch Account to Amazon
Connecting your Twitch and Amazon accounts is necessary to unlock Twitch Prime and also to use paid features such bits (cheers). Here’s how to do it.
- Make sure you’re logged in to both your Amazon and Twitch accounts within the same web browser.
- Click on the Connect your Twitch account link on this page here.
- Follow the shown instructions and click the purple Confirm button. Your accounts should now be connected.
How to Claim Your Free Twitch Subscription
The free Twitch subscription is automatically granted to Twitch Prime users as soon as their 30-day free trial ends and they begin paying the monthly fee. There is no free subscription option during the trial period. Once you begin your paid Prime membership, do the following to redeem your free subscription:
- Open a web browser on a computer and navigate to http://www.twitch.tv/bfurb
- In the top-right corner of the screen, or below the video to the right, there is a purple Subscribe button. Click it.
- Once clicked, a small box containing a variety of subscription options should appear.
- Click the Subscribe Free button to begin your free Twitch subscription for this channel.
Unlike paid Twitch subscriptions, the free one does not automatically renew each month. Free subscriptions must be renewed manually.
How to Renew Your Free Twitch Subscription
Since the free Twitch subscriptions don’t automatically renew on their own, you will need to visit your chosen channel in a web browser again and manually re-subscribe every 30 days. The process is identical to the way one would subscribe to a channel for the first time. Your subscription streak will continue as long as the subscription to the same account is renewed within 30 days of its expiration.